Assignment #5


Emma Ridley
Professor Sally Bozzuto
October 22, 2018
Assignment #5

            Making my way to the Aperture Gallery, I had no idea what to expect. I had no prior experience at galleries that could assist me in gauging what the experience would be like, feel like, or even aesthetically look like. It is safe to say that I was walking in blind, completely open to the idea of accepting whatever style of photography I was about to see.

            Guadalupe Rosales: Legends Never Die, A Collective Memory was the exhibition on display, and it was a rather small show. The Aperture Gallery itself is a rather small venue, and this exhibition took up about 40% of the space. The display itself was mostly digital on a big screen, showcasing an Instagram account on a flat touch screen TV that viewers could go to that had over 4,000 images achieved for the exhibition: @veteranas_and_rucas. The physical exhibition had about 10-15 photos displayed, digital but printed on a custom wallpaper made for the gallery, almost advertising the Instagram account. The medium used is print, scanned and copied to an online social media platform. The physical and online exhibition both give off a very intense sense of nostalgia and community, multiple pictures showcasing memorabilia from the 1990’s, and group photos that make you feel like you are missing out on a really great inside joke.

            Guadalupe Rosales was born in 1980 and based in Los Angeles. She has traveled her exhibition to numerous galleries: The Brooklyn Museum, Vincent Price Art Museum, and The Philbrook Museum. Legends Never Die, A Collective Memory is an ongoing project of archived photographs and objects in relations to the 1990’s Los Angeles Latinx party crew scene. Rosales’ objective is for her work to “deconstruct and reframes marginalized histories, offering platforms of conversation and agency of self-representation.” (http://www.veteranasandrucas.com/about/) Other works of Guadalupe Rosales include Map Pointz, which specifically documents the SoCal 1990’s party crew/rave scene. For both projects, Rosales is always looking for submissions through any medium in order to create her feeling of nostalgia and awareness.

            Rosales had a plethora of subjects, however, to round it up, her subjects are mostly Latinx 20-something year olds in the suburbs of South California. There tends to be a lot more women featured than men, especially women in small groups of 3-5, as this exhibition’s focus is on women. Collectively, the subject matter is either portraits or group shots, many pictures consisting of yearbook photos, group pictures at house parties, family gatherings, and outdoor adventures with friends. The form of these photographs are pretty basic, as there are no crazy lighting effects. The subjects take the form of the light that is given in the moment the shot was taken. It is very naturalistic and raw, however they are very posed. The style is one of the most intentional aspects of Guadalupe Rosales’ exhibit. Her goal with her style is to give off a nostalgia that almost makes your heart ache for what is photographed, using her subject matter to her advantage. Group shots with friends and family, yearbook photos, childhood bedrooms, the list goes on. These all give off a nostalgic style, with 1990’s influence splattered all over. The external context is primarily people joined together through community and relationships, and the internal context is how viewing someone else’s past can create nostalgia of your own from within.

            Guadalupe Rosales: Legends Never Die, A Collective Memory really did strike a chord in me in a way that I was not expecting. Seeing old photographs of strangers was almost therapeutic; Rosales knew how to utilize her subjects and subject matter in order to provoke an emotional response. I had the impulse to just keep scrolling on her Instagram account; I could not look away. The nostalgia that was provoked in me was consuming me, and I loved every minute of it. Sometimes her work made me feel happy, sometimes the complete opposite, and each photo was unpredictable in what it would provoke in me, which showed me just how personal of an experience Rosales’ exhibition was. The work did not remind me of anything I have ever seen before. The closest photographer I could relate Guadalupe Rosales’ work to would be Aaron Shuman, in that his primary focus in his work is to create a sense of nostalgia within his audience.

Above is a link to the photo that I chose to discuss as an example of the Rosales’ intent within her exhibition. What I loved about this specific picture is that it is a posed picture for some, and a candid picture for others. To me, this kind of style really allows the nostalgia to shine through. I really enjoyed the contrast in form as well, as the women are the focal point, and the men are almost background noise. It highlights that the viewer is supposed to be focusing on the women’s perspective in the photograph, and for me, there was a very strong sense of empowerment in that. Personally, this was the kind of idea that I loved about the entirety of Rosales’ work: women being the focal point and focusing on a personal feminine nostalgia. When I say “feminine nostalgia,” I am referring to the female experience in the Lantix community in SoCal. This image deeply resonated with me. Currently, I have been trying to focus my energy only on positive sources in my life, and right now, all of my positivity has been resting in my female friends and family. Having the two men in the picture appear as “background” really struck a chord in me. That is how I currently see the men in my life: background noise, not prioritized or focused on. This image perfectly captures the essence of that kind of feeling; the feeling of prioritizing energy on people that you believe will better yourself and your life, rather than tarnish it.

       Overall, my impression on this work was entirely positive, and gave me inspiration within my own photography. I have always wanted to document still life and raw human behavior. Guadalupe Rosales does a beautiful job captivating her audience through the memories of complete strangers. She does this through photographic styles that we have incorporated in our own lives that we are unaware of until it is surfaced to an audience: yearbook photos, posed family pictures, posed pictures that friends take of you, that you take of your friends, birthday party pictures, Christmas pictures, baby shower pictures, the list goes on. There is definitely more of an emotional response that comes with this exhibit, in that her primary goal is to provoke something internally within her audience. The fact that she has archived over 4,000 photos only helps her message; the more photos that I would look at, the more emotional response would surface. It felt as if I was drowning in a never-ending pool of recollection. I was surprised by how bittersweet this exhibition made me. If I am being completely honest, I was not expecting to really feel any sort of passion for Rosales’ work. I expected to feel relatively neutral. She was able to provoke something inside me that made me long for the past but look forward to falling in love, making new friends, cutting ties, exploring new places, just living life freely. I am going to continue to follow her Instagram account so I am posted on her next exhibition. I would highly recommend Guadalupe Rosales to anyone and everyone; support her photography, because she knows how to send a message to an audience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lighting

Reading Assessment I